I’ve encountered an issue, which I’m currently able to replicate, where after starting up Everdo on new computer and setting up encrypted sync to get my data, my Area tags aren’t what I expected.
It showed me 2 of the 4 existing areas from my phone, and after restart it showed the two areas that comes “pre-bundled” (Home & Work) on top of the 2 existing ones.
After doing a clean pull it would then show me the correct area tags, but the Home and Work tags would still stay there and get synced, which I then had to remove afterwards (from both devices it seems)
To note, this was done on Windows 10 desktop (1.5.3) and Android (1.1-7, had older version when starting out but updated during this process)
To start out, I had 4 different areas on my mobile phone, which was let’s say
I had installed Everdo on fresh windows installation (and was able to replicate after deleting everdo folder under Roaming), and set it up doing the following
- Deleted tutorial via button in top-right (note, after doing this, both Home and Work area tags stayed behind)
- Added product key
- Setup sync using the button in top-right, using existing account for encrypted sync and follow through steps until prompted to close.
At this point, when checking on my tags, it would only show 2 of the 4 expected ones, which was
If I tried to view a task which had the area tags that were missing, the missing tags would not appear
After closing the windows program and starting back up, the tags were as following
I then finally tried doing a Clean Pull, which after this point, the area tags looked as expected, where it only showed the 4 that was on my phone.
However, after shutting down and restarting, the two “tutorial” areas appeared again.
After writing this up, I noticed that I’d gotten Home and Work area tags on the phone as well, after having deleted it on the desktop (guessing it got synced at some point before removal, but trying to sync again on phone they didn’t disappear).
After updating the phone version (don’t recall previous version), I was able to delete the tags without crashing the application.
But, they seemed to re-appear as well after restarting the mobile app, so I tried doing a clean sync, which then gave the same issue with only showing the 2 existing tags.
All in all to “fix this”, I ended up having to do
- Clean pull on desktop
- Restart application to show my wanted tags & 2 extra unwanted
- Delete the unwanted tags
- Force push changes to encrypted sync
- Clean pull on mobile device