Migrate content from a .deb to an appImage

Hello

I appreciate the portability of an appImage, I already use one. I would like to have 2 different appImages.
How to migrate content from a .deb to an appImage 1.5.14 ?
Regards

Could you please clarify what setup you already have and what you are trying to achieve?

Hello
Today I installed (version 1.5.14 pro)
. deb
appImage

Tomorrow
I would like to have 2 instances on 2 different external disks to not depend on the installation on the computer anymore
regards

Hello
I hope you have all the elements to answer me, because I’m leaving tomorrow afternoon for a week and I would have liked to solve this.

Hello
I hope you have all the elements to answer me.

Your data directory is not dependent on the application or package format. You can run the same copy of the program with different data directories by using the --dataDir option. It doesn’t matter whether you are using deb or appimage. By default the application reads data from /home/user/.config/everdo, but you can specify a different path.
Does this help?

No sorry because I don’t want to point everdo_pro appimage to the default path that the .deb had (because I install it on a usb key).

1. I make a new installation of everdo
  2. I have to delete the default content. Is it possible in 1 click?
  3. I import the data from the “.deb” via a json file

If I understand correctly, you could

1. Copy your data directory to your USB drive. For example /home/user/everdo to /{path-to-usb}/everdo-data-dir
  2. When running the application you should specify --dataDir /{path-to-usb}/everdo-data-dir. You can create a shortcut for this to simplify starting the application.

Hi
Well I think I succeeded but not using your method. I think the problem comes from the evolution of my organization
From a standard installed application then deported in a specific path, cohabitation between a .deb application and appImage then finally with 2 appImage applications.
Each time I tried to create this 2nd appImage, I had dozens of elements in the focus part with elements that had not been deleted? I already had a similar problem.

I modified the 2nd everdo application (AppImage) using a file that I launch, after allowing it to run.
everdo --dataDir "/media/rv/Appli-donnees-actives/Everdo-portable" --multiInstance What is surprising is that this file (in the same directory) launches the demo content!

Before I had this launch file (less interesting because it depends on the version of everdo!):
HOME="/media/rv/Appli-donnees-actives/Everdo-portable/" "/media/rv/Appli-donnees-actives/Everdo-portable"/Everdo-1.5.14.AppImage --multiInstance

Well I hope I made the right choice and that I will not have any more problem with these 2 appImage applications!?

Regards

hi,
Ah last problem
All this works on the external drive linked to the fixed computer but I can’t launch the launch file with the external hard drive on the laptop!
It’s like the file is not executable even though it’s set up correctly.
When launching the file via the teminal; I get the return: “command not found”
An idea?

Hi,
hoping that the rest is resolved,
Do you have any idea why I can’t run the everdo launch file when the permissions seem to be the same?

appimage with launch file in previous folder
hard disk on fixed computer = Ok
same hard drive on laptop

Is your everdo executable stored on the removable media? If so then a full path to executable should be specified to launch it.

I’m not sure if we understand each other because on the desktop computer, the launch file works fine:
I don’t know where the term “everdo” comes from. There is no file in the root of this folder (including hidden files!) BUT it works on my desktop computer!

Every time I type the command file, it opens the file with the editor, I can’t launch it
everything works correctly on the fixed computer or I have the message before launching it “0,everdo-launch is an executable file”!

Tree structure of my folder
/Everdo-portable
.cache
.config
Everdo-1.5.14.AppImage

everdo --dataDir "/media/rv/Appli-donnees-actives/Everdo-portable" --multiInstance

Hi,
I still spent a lot of time figuring it out. It is possible that everything works fine on the desktop computer because there is an initial deb.
Can you tell me the complete method to launch the appimage from a laptop from an external drive.
Thanks

So I’m guessing the filesystem on your removable drive is FAT or NTFS and your OS mounts it in non-executable mode. You need to mount the drive with exec option. For example see 16.04 - Mount USB with exec flag by default - Ask Ubuntu

Hi,
Additional information is that I am under ubuntu 21.04 on all my computers + ext4 external drives + luks

The problem being (in my opinion) that there is no everdo installed on the person’s laptop, !
I also have the impression that everdo is not really portable.
The recommended method on Using portable mode — AppImage documentation (Portable configuration data - #13 by Royi - Using AppImages - AppImage) works well with my other appImage: firefox, keepass. I simply create a “.home” directory and all references are stored in this directory. I hope you can integrate this possibility in your roadmap. If not do you have another solution from the path because I spent hours on it without solving this problem!
My 2 launch files are on :
Migrate content from a .deb to an appImage - #9 by herveD
and Tree structure of my folder
/Everdo-portable
.cache
.config
Everdo-1.5.14.AppImage
I will need to run it on a laptop (not necessarily root).
Thanks for your help

There is no way to install an appimage. You just need to make it executable and it will work.

This is not a problem in your case. Everdo definitely works as described in https://docs.appimage.org/user-guide/portable-mode.html

Note that if you want to use this approach, then you should not specify the --dataDir option.

The primary problem is that the executable does not launch. But this is not related to configuration storage.

First of all you need to make sure the partition is mounted as executable on the computer where you are trying to launch it. Can you launch other programs on the same partition? If not, then it is not mounted correctly.

Please write once again the exact command you are using to launch everdo and the exact error message you are getting.

ok I did it by starting from scratch and importing the json file
It works perfectly in appImage (I have 4 folders under Everdo-1.5.14.AppImage.home) like the others I applied this method.
Indeed no more command line applies.
Thank you for your support.