Agenda / agendas view

What do you think about adding a dedicated Agenda list? Under such a list, we could have only items that are assigned with contacts that we want to discuss with particular contacts.
Currently these items we have to add to our Next list with a contact tag. As David Allen claims Agendas are specific types of actions so maybe they deserve their own list?

Probably I use the wrong place to suggest new functionality or changes. Sorry, but I hope they will not be lost.

3 Likes

If we consider agendas to be actions, then using Next and a contact tag seems like a good approach.
We could also use a notebook called Agendas. Create one note per person labelled with the appropriate contact tag. Use a checklist for agenda items.

2 Likes

The problem with contact tag is when you have 100+ contact, then your screen is full of contact tag for filtering…

1 Like

Yes I can imagine it can be very bothering. I try to avoid situations when I have active more than 10 contacts tags.

Maybe have a button “contact” to trigger search for contact instead of displaying all of them.

For now, I only use “#client” because of that :frowning:

I agree, it would be great to have a dedicated agendas view.

With respect to Next and contact tag as an approach – that works fine, but my mentality for agendas is “I have to talk to person X about something, but oh yeah there’s this too… yada yada”. So to me a dedicated view or list is really helpful to see who I have to talk to about what.

The solution of using a dedicated notebook with one note per person, then using subtasks is fine, but you can’t add directly to it from inbox.

What I’m doing now is using an Agendas notebook that contains all the stuff I have to talk to everybody about, then using tags in that notebook. This works well so far for me, because I can add tasks to it directly from inbox and I can filter by whomever I want. However it would be nice to 1) be able to have this as a checklist rather than things I have to delete (I know this is very minor…) and 2) to be able to GROUP by the person, rather than just filter by them. This would be really nice to get an immediate overall view of whom I need to talk to and about what.

I’m just now coming across this same challenge. I’ve previously tried tracking agendas in notebooks, but since this behaves like reference material it falls easily outside the normal loop of work and becomes duplicative if we’re using the “waiting for” list correctly, so it seems to be a bit of an anti-pattern to me.

At the moment, I am simply using contact tags on actions, but there are a few issues.

• Contacts and tags are in the same list for most purposes, so things get pretty busy fast.
  • It’s hard to get an overview based on contact - you can only look at next, scheduled, waiting, etc. separately; but this is a context where you’re likely to want to be able to see all of these at once (e.g. discussing progress on waiting tasks).

To me, this could be greatly enriched by starting to differentiate contacts from other tags. One simple approach would be to use a similar dropdown to the one that already exists for “Areas” to instead create a “Contact” or “Agenda” view, allowing agendas to emerge naturally from the sum of things tagged with that person’s name. To keep it compact, this would only need to show contacts for whom anything is currently tagged, and would be separate from “Areas” to prevent crowding.

For those who use a notebook agenda, or contact-related notes in general, this would not break that functionality and would have the additional benefit of making it easier to find relevant actions.