Android App Shortcut

I would love to have an app shortcut on Android for quickly adding a task to the inbox.

2 Likes

Would that act like a “quick add” widget? That gets suggested often and it sits in the backlog for now. Do I understand correctly that the shortcuts feature only exists on Android 9+?

Not the quickest way for me to add stuff to inbox.

Yes, exactly. It’s a convenient way to access a certain function of the app without needing to open it first. Having a shortcut to add an item to the inbox is the most natural use case for me.

what’s the benefit of “long press” then “press” add item then “press” OK rather than “press” to open app (“press” inbox if not by default) then “press” add and finally “press” OK ?

I think one big difference is performance. Opening the full app takes a few seconds because reading the database and a lot of rendering is involved. When using an inbox widget there’s no need to load anything and the user can start typing immediately.

What do you choose to implant first,. this or quick setting / widget / notification ?

@Hydro I think you answered your own question.

I don’t want to have to check where the app opened and decide if I need to switch. I want to add something to the inbox with a predictable cadence so that I can get in and out without having to think about it.

I’m agree with you, just that I don’t think app shortcut is the best way to manage inbox shortcut right know.