Communication error: Certificate has expired

I’m getting the following error on my Windows 10 running Everdo 1.5.8:


I thought I might try to run the Setup sync again, but I get the following:

And when I try to do an error report I get:


No VPN active, haven’t changed any network connections on my computer.

The error.log displays the following:

{“ts”:“2021-10-03T09:32:10.764Z”,“message”:“Cannot read property ‘isEmailVerified’ of undefined”,“stack”:“TypeError: Cannot read property ‘isEmailVerified’ of undefined\n at file:///C:/Program%20Files/Everdo/resources/app.asar/bundle.js:540:1728744\n at H._callback (file:///C:/Program%20Files/Everdo/resources/app.asar/bundle.js:17:7047)\n at t._callback.t.callback.t.callback (file:///C:/Program%20Files/Everdo/resources/app.asar/bundle.js:467:4021)\n at H.emit (events.js:315:20)\n at H.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:483:12)\n at H.onRequestError (file:///C:/Program%20Files/Everdo/resources/app.asar/bundle.js:467:13000)\n at ClientRequest.emit (events.js:315:20)\n at ClientRequest.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:483:12)\n at TLSSocket.socketErrorListener (_http_client.js:426:9)\n at TLSSocket.emit (events.js:315:20)”}

Using Encrypted Sync.

If I check Ignore SSL Errors, the error message about the certificate goes away but it doesn’t seem to update my list on the encrypted sync, since my phone doesn’t get any updated items.

I’m looking into this. Looks like this is the reason -
What an unusual issue. I will try to provide a fix as soon as possible.

Please try this build

In desktop settings, sync status is showing:

Communication error: certificate has expired

Hitting Setup Sync results in an error (bug submitted using Everdo interface already).

This was working fine for the longest time, and suddenly it appears to have stopped working. I was out of the country for the past month, but can’t pinpoint exactly when it stopped syncing. No other key events that I can recall that would lead to the syncing to stop working.

On mobile, Sync Status is shown as OK, with last successful sync: 1 second ago. Interestingly, Product Tier shows as “free”, despite my having imported the key when I’d initially set up Everdo.

On desktop, it correctly shows that I have the pro version of the software. Pulling has no discernible effect.

I have found a way to fix this issue without requiring an upgrade of the app. It should now work without any changes on the user’s side.

1 Like

Thanks! Works perfectly for me now again :smiley: