Getting Things Done (symbol picture)

3 Likes

:grin: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:
so true, but after laughing for a while I realize it’s more like
:roll_eyes: :grimacing: :unamused: :woozy_face: :scream: :anguished: :fearful: :pleading_face: :sob:

Not getting it so far :thinking:.

The picture shows the attempts to unstuck the massive container ship that currently blocks the Suez canal.

The point is that with GTD, you tend to put everything that you have to do or want to do into your “trusted system” to achieve a “mind like water”. The problem with this is that over time this creates a giant pile of tasks in your system that you can never work off in your life time, no matter how much you are “cranking widgets” every day. All your daily efforts seem to be futile, you never move that big ship loaden with your dreams and ambitions.

This pile of obligations or pile of shame can be in fact pretty frightening and depressing as manu pointed out.

Maybe we can discuss some solutions here?

One thing I changed is to not put too much “someday/maybe” stuff into my task management system any more, but to keep the vaguer ideas and plans separate in my knowledge management system to make it clearer to my unconscious mind that these are only ideas and opportunities that I can do, but not tasks I really have to do. Ideas should be more clearly separated from tasks.

However, the problem is still that the “someday/maybe” list is full of fun things that I would love to do, while the “next” and “scheduled” lists are full of obligations and unpleasant work that keeps me from ever getting to the fun stuff, and that never seems to dry out. At least this is the feeling.

I think that’s why reviews and regular reflections are so important, where you try to realign with your goals or maybe change goals. This is unfortunately not something software can help you with. It rather needs some quiet time and soul-searching. It can also mean, if your current obligations or job feels more like a burden than joy, to consider changing the job and adding next actions to do this, or to start looking at obligations differently. Try to clarify why your tasks are at least meaningful even if they seem to be dull. Once you see their deeper meaning for your life or the life of others again, doing them will give you more joy again. Or, if you find they are not meaningful, stop doing them, and ask yourself whether some change in your goals is necessary.

3 Likes

Okay, so here is my take on this

Everdo and GTD are those small flexible boats that maneuver the heavy overloaded ship (my tasks and responsibilities) through the sometimes foggy see (my life).
How much I put on to this ship is my decision, and sometimes one needs to make clear ship or distribute containers to other ships, offload the containers and park them somewhere, when they are not needed.

5 Likes

That’s a nice allegory. The “distribution to other ships” (delegation) is always advised for the “urgent/not important” quadrant of the Eisenhower matrix (I’m very bad at this, though). “Parking the containers” is what I’m currently doing by moving large parts of my someday/maybe-list to my knowledge management (notetaking) system.

1 Like

Got it. Personally I too try to not let my list of projects get this big. Everything goes into GTD to give everything a chance, but eventually things must be let go of.