Keyboard shortcuts with non-standard layout

Hey Andrei,

I just started using Everdo on a Mac and have the same problem I previously had on Ubuntu using a non-standard keyboard layout (Neo 2). I cannot use the shortcuts utilizing the colon because Everdo recognizes the colon character as a “d”, which is on the same key as “:” in this layout, just with an added modifier key.
I know this is probably an issue for a very small group of people but maybe you could change at which ‘level’ the keys are grabbed to make this work.
FYI: I’m on MacOS 11.0.1 and using Karabiner for the custom keyboard layout.

Cheers!

1 Like

If I understand correctly, the only way to solve this is by providing a way to configure shortcuts.

Listening on a different level is possible. For example instead of the physical “d” key we can listen to the “d” character. The problem then becomes that many keyboard layouts don’t have “d” at all, so they will not be able to trigger the corresponding event. So merely listening for characters instead of physical keys introduces a new problem.

This problem would be reduced or fixed by allowing the user to remap the hotkeys at Everdo level, but that is a rather big piece of work, so I’m not sure when it can be done just yet.

I found this bug today too, in version 1.7.7 (windows), but shortcuts in 1.5.14 (ubuntu) work correct for me. On that windows system shortcuts worked correct in past, but since last update they are mixed up. I don’t know, which version I used before on windows. Max one year old, I think.

I use the german keyboard layout Neo2 on all systems, like the tread opener, but I think that problem still exist with any other layout except of qwerty. Seems, that key’s are hard coded. And I can add, that other programs don’t have the shortcut issue, so there should be a solution for this.

Workaround is to reverse mix up the shortcuts. Capture inbox item for example is KeyI, in my Layout KeyI is where in qwerty is KeyS, so I set KeyS in settings and get KeyI on my Layout. But that’s a little ugly… :wink:

Dvorak user here. The broken hotkeys is a deal-breaker for me. Can’t think of any other app in 12+ years of typing on an alternate layout that just ignores the key you’re pressing and assumes you mean something else.

I understand it’s a task to program customizable hotkeys, but people who use alternate layouts are often power users. Is there really no way hack this fix?

What about a simple checkbox in settings, “use software key input for hotkeys”? Ignoring everyone’s ‘d’ key that isn’t on qwerty because some people don’t have a ‘d’ key doesn’t seem like a proper solution.

Could you please describe a scenario in which the existing keyboard configuration options in Settings → Keyboard don’t work?