Please suggest how to manage this kind of project

Hi there,

actually this is a not very product-related question.
i have the following hierachicall project:

PROJ A

TASK x

TASK y

TASK z

PROJ B

TASK x

TASK y

TASK z

PROJ C

TASK x

TASK y

TASK z

PROJ D

TASK x

TASK y

TASK z

PROJ E

TASK x

TASK y

TASK z

how to manage this?l
currently in Everdo, i tried PROJ and ACTIONS and ACTIONS and LISTS. i think it may not be the best way since it creates too many items in projects or actions, hard to locate the specific things i am interested in.
Ideally, the following table might be the best for this sceanio.
but i believe table is not compatible with GTD concept, or is it?

any suggestions on this?
Thanks!

From your description, my assumptions are:

1. Every project has roughly the same actions
  2. There are many actions in each project

In this case I would definitely go with a table, as I frequently do.

List-based approach to tasks is good for picking next actions based on context and other traits, but it doesn’t work so well for planning and getting a high-level view of the overall project.

When it comes to combining the table approach with GTD, I believe the table would fit perfectly fine into the project support materials.

Whether to create projects A-E as Projects or Actions in Everdo would depend on the nature and scope of work. Will you get any benefit from seeing the combined sub-actions in the single Next list and filtering that list? How much effort is one project? Maybe it makes more sense to have a single project with A-E as actions?

In other words, I prefer tables for planning and lists for execution. So my major multi-month projects are usually planned in spreadsheets, and then I move actionable bits of the overall project to Everdo (as smaller projects) when it’s time to execute. Then I divide them into next actions.

Not sure it helps much, but I hope it does.

Hi Andrei,

thanks very much for your suggestion.

i see what i messed up here. as you described, you separated planning and execution while i combined them. for years i’ve been searching for a perfect GTD tool and i always got un-satisfied with certain point. i think separating them would be a great idea, tables for planning and lists for execution, will definately try that out.

in my specific case, PROJ A-E is not as long as multi-month. usually it is 1 week at most, all of them will be finished in a month. so how do you judge if a project/task in your table becomes actionable? what is the trigger for you to move them to Everdo?

I review projects once a week and decide roughly what I will be actually doing next week based on larger goals. I usually keep 2-3 projects active per area because i know the rest will just be ignored and distract me. So to answer your question, the trigger is that I choose to commit to focusing on those projects during the short term (a week). Everything else goes to either someday until next review, or doesn’t get added at all.