Position of global capture dialogue flawed in multi monitor setup

Hi,
on my multi monitor setup the global capture dialogue position is somewhat flawed.
It shows in the upper left corner of my third monitor.
Since it’s not custom configurable I’d expect the dialogue centered on my main screen.

I sthe position stored in a preference file, so I could change it myself?

All the best
Manu

I think the window should remember it’s position at the time when it is closed. Does this not match your experience?

okay, I d o some more tests and report back.

seems to work… don’t know what the problem was before.

Since I’m using a docking station I often see following behavior.

In the dock everything is fine. I take my notebook out of the docking station go e.g. to the conference room, then return to my desk an the docking station.
Now the quick capture always shows up on my laptop screen.

If the previous position is no longer valid for whatever reason the quick capture should center itself on the display that is configured as main display.

Alternatively I’d like to see following settings, or at least the first one.

• Always center quick capture on main display
  • Always center quick capture on active display
  • Always position quick capture on last position

I will take a look if the main display can be detected by an app like Everdo. If it’s possible them maybe it would make sense to always show quick capture at the center of the main display.

I did some tests and there seem to be ways to position the quick capture window reliably.

I implemented placing the window at the center of the largest connected display. If there are two displays of equal size, then the primary display is used.

I would be happy with this behavior, since most of the time I’m looking at the largest display, and when no display is connected, the app would fall back to the laptop display. I’m thinking of releasing this after more cross-platform testing. I think defaulting to the primary display is not a great idea, since I’m sure many users keep their laptop’s display as primary even when an external display is connected where actual work is done.

Please do share any concerns with this approach.

Depends how you define “largest”. You mean highest resolution, then this could work.
I still would prefer a setting, but of course a well working default behavior is needed.

OTH: I’m using a surface laptop studio, most of the time it is the “largest” although it’s not the main display.

I do not agree.

Let’s see how other think about this.

Yes, I mean largest in terms of the number of physical pixels.

Yes, a default behavior good enough for most users is a challenge here. For example I think for someone who doesn’t change their display composition often, any behavior other than current is worse.

I got an idea for configuration that I like. We could use the current behavior as default and add a button to the quick capture window to “pin” it to the current display. I’m not sure we can reliably detect the identity of a display on which the window appears at any given time, but it might be possible, so I’ll look into this.

Interestingly, while thinking about this issue I discovered that in some desktop environments (KDE) it’s possible to configure the exact screen and position at which any particular window appears, without any application support.

What do you think about following default behavior: The capture inbox opens on that screen where the mouse currently is?
Because that’s usually where the focus of my eyes is.

I don’t think it’s possible to track mouse like that from within an app.

Also it’s common to switch between windows and hence monitors using the keyboard, while the mouse stays in the same place.

Personally, I got used to the window opening in the same place, so I’m not sure how much of a problem it is, as long as the window position is consistent. So for me the pinning approach described above would be enough.

yeah, let’s try that.

Following scenario:

• 3 connected displays,
  • No. 1 is the internal display.
  • I pin the dialog to display No. 2.
  • Everything is fine.
  • I disconnect and work a little without external displays
  • return to my workstation, reconnect displays

Question: Will the pin restore because it remembers that I pinned display 2?

If not the behavior is similar to now. Because currently I can move the dialog to another display and as long as the display is connected it will open there (like it is pinned). It only forgets when I disconnect from my displays, work without displays or work from my home office.

As I think about it, still for me the best option would be a setting. “Always show capture dialog on main display” no furhter magic needed.