Quick capture and configurable keyboard shortcuts - Everdo 1.7.7- Everdo

Thank you, the page has been updated.

Speaking of the quick capture and its focus, Iā€™m having the opposite problem with focus on Windows: after closing the quick capture window, focus doesnā€™t go back to my previous window without me clicking or alt-tabbing back, requiring extra mental steps.

As a workaround, I created an Autohotkey script to send a capture item via curl, but itā€™d be nice if the built-in quick capture put the focus back where it found it. (Or perhaps whatever the fix for MacOS was broke it on Windows? I only just started trying to use Everdo yesterday, so maybe itā€™s a difference between 1.7.7 and 1.7.8.)

Same with Dvorak layout on Linux Mint 20.3. Because I often use QWERTY on other machines, itā€™s been simpler to retrain my brain than remap the keys. I think of the k (as printed on the keyboard) key (default mapped to down arrow in Everdo) as a down arrow in that that key location rather than as a letter which does the down arrow function. Itā€™s sort of like when teaching typing and a keyboard with blank keys is used.

The shortcut ctrl+e action is so very useful. Thank you.

It may help some that it is ctrl+e (not requiring a shift e to make E) in Linux. Also, unlike Everdo, key mappings take precedence, so you press whatever e is on your key mapping, not the key that is printed on the keyboard. e.g. on Dvorak it is ctrl+d (as printed on the QWERTY key) (which is e), not ctrl+e (which is ctrl+. in Dvorak) which is the pattern when using Everdo.

I suspect these optimizations appeal even more to an Everdo audience (concerned with GTD, efficiency, data control and on platforms especially Linux).

All such issues are caused by the differences in how desktop environments assign focus to windows.

Nothing is done in the application to control what gets focused, as itā€™s not quite an application-level concern (if possible at all).

So we have one issue on macOS, potentially a different one on Windows and everything work fine on Linux (at lest with KDE which I heavily use).

Iā€™ll have to do more testing on Windows. I wonder what ends up being focused after quick capture closes.

When it comes to the macOS behavior, I donā€™t know how to fix this at the moment, other than re-implement the quick capture window as a separate process so that the desktop environment does not associate it with the main window.