[Resolved] Linux Mint 20.3 can't open application

If I want to open a freshly installed Everdo 1.7.7 on Linux Mint 20.2 and 20.3 I get the following error (with AppImage and the .dep package):

A JavaScript error occurred in the main process
Uncaught Exception:
TypeError [ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE]: The "path" argument must be of type string. Received undefined
    at new NodeError (node:internal/errors:371:5)
    at validateString (node:internal/validators:119:11)
    at Object.join (node:path:1172:7)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/opt/Everdo/resources/app.asar/main.js:91:21)
    at Module._compile (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1116:14)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1169:10)
    at Module.load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:988:32)
    at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:829:12)
    at Function.c._load (node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:5:13331)
    at Object.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:193:3197)
[4394:0507/185131.347384:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(376)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

I’m running the deb package on Linux Mint 20.3 and haven’t had any issues. Which graphics card are you using and are the drivers up to date? There’s a known issue with Chromium and some linux graphics card drivers. Try running Everdo from the command line with --disable-gpu and see if that works.

Thanks @gypsyav for your suggestions. My grapic-card and device settings are as follows:

Driver: oem-sutton.newell-aekerley-meta
hardware support for Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen9, X1 Yoga Gen 6
Graphic-Card: Intel Corporation Device 9a49
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           chip ID: 8086:9a49 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Xe Graphics (TGL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.6 
           direct render: Yes 

I run everdo with --disable-gpu but got same result:

$ everdo --disable-gpu
A JavaScript error occurred in the main process
Uncaught Exception:
TypeError [ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE]: The "path" argument must be of type string. Received undefined
    at new NodeError (node:internal/errors:371:5)
    at validateString (node:internal/validators:119:11)
    at Object.join (node:path:1172:7)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/opt/Everdo/resources/app.asar/main.js:91:21)
    at Module._compile (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1116:14)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1169:10)
    at Module.load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:988:32)
    at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:829:12)
    at Function.c._load (node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:5:13331)
    at Object.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:193:3197)
[7259:0509/210608.713287:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(376)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

Disabled open-source driver, but to no avail. Same error message.

The drivers for the Intel GPU are in the kernel so make sure you’re running the latest kernel. I read it should be at least 5.8 for the newer cards and Linux Mint 20.* runs on the 5.4 kernel.

I found another switch people have used, --disable-software-rasterizer used in conjunction with --disable-gpu

If neither of those work, I’m out of ideas. I’ve got an NVIDIA card in my desktop so I can’t troubleshoot.

Thank you for your reply. I’m running Kernel 5.14.0-1034-oem (the newest) and tried your options. Got the same results.
Could it be related to react? I found an interesting thread on stackoverflow

I tried searching for the root cause of this error. No success so far.

This looks somewhat similar, but there is no react in Everdo.

Thank you, @Andrei, for the investigation.

@Andrei for your information: in the meantime I tried to install Version 1.6.1 but got the same error.

Hi @Andrei, do you have any news on this? I’m considering to buy Everdo but I’m a Linux Mint user, and currently it’s not working for me because of this bug. The mobile app is nice but it would be better to have it on the desktop too.
I’m willing to help, If you need some logs, testing etc.

Kind regards,
Didier

Replied privately with instructions.

Dear @Andrei and @gypsyav
Thank you for your help. I can confirm that problem is solved. Something in .config or .pki Folder in my user-directory caused the trouble. Just deleting that, made Everdo start up :slight_smile:
Please excuse the troubles I caused you. You did really the extra mile (building a new version, building a new testing environment, etc.).

Thank you. Kind regards,
Didier

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

Attention! Don’t delete the whole folder. Some programs store their data in there (make a backup first). Just search for a folder named Everdo and delete it (your old to-dos might get lost in the process). In my case I had an old config folder for Everdo that was about 4 years old, that caused the trouble.

Ahhh the joy (and pain) of Linux…the fact that you can configure EVERYTHING :slight_smile: