[Solved] "Communication error" message when trying to sync from desktop to android

Everdo for Windows 1.1.16 as server, newest version of Android app running on a Galaxy S8 android 8.0 as client. I get the API information right but when I refresh on my phone it says “Communication Error”

EDIT: When I start the program on my computer it says “Everdo API is up” so I think it’s either my network or the app on my phone.

First, let us try a quick test to ensure you phone can “see” the server.

Type this URL into your mobile browser, but replace 192.168.1.11 with your IP, 11111 with your port, and **** with your API key. Make sure to use “https” and not “http”

https://192.168.1.1:11111/time?key=****

If you get ah HTTPS warning, then the connection between devices is fine.
If you get a This site can’t be reached or similar error, then it’s a network issue.

Please try this and let me know the result.

Firefox says “Unable to connect,” so I assume it’s a network issue. I’m using a VPN, but even when I turn it off on both devices it’s the same result. Also my IP field populated automatically with “localhost” instead of an IP. The server is on my laptop, which I’m assuming is set up for a dynamic IP, should I look in to setting it to static?

Yes, that’s it. Need to set up a static IP on the laptop, then specify that IP in settings on all synced devices. Dynamic won’t work because your phone needs to know a specific IP address to connect.

That did it! Thank you so much, I love your application. Now I can use it full time and decide whether to buy the pro version (looking like I might with support like this)

Also works through my VPN which is dope

Hi I am having the same “Communication Error” issue even after following steps mentioned here. I set my Macbook pro to static IP and ran the browser test as per instructions and getting the “Unable to connect” message. I am on Everdo 1.1.26 on macOS 10.12.6.

When you start the app (server), do you see the API up message?

Does the browser test work if performed on the same machine?

When you start the app (server), do you see the API up message?

Yes

Does the browser test work if performed on the same machine?

Getting the following messages on computer.

This site cannot be loaded due to a certificate error: https://192.168.1.254:11111/time?key=qqad

and

Your connection is not secure

The owner of 192.168.1.254 has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

This means the API is working. If the phone is still unable to connect, that means lack of network connectivity between the two devices. Are you sure the phone is on the same physical network as the computer?

Hi Andrei

I’m not the OP but I have a similar issue. API is listening on server but still can’t connect from my phone. I’m on the same wifi network on both the laptop (Mac) and my phone (Android). Firewall on my mac is off and I have no VPN. Any other troubleshooting methods? I’m using Google Pixel 3 XL if that helps.

Some WiFi networks isolate the devices from each other. Are you able to ping your server successfully from your phone?

Hi Manu

I’ve tried my wifi network at home and my university and I can’t get both to ping from my phone.

The error says: “This site can’t be reached. 127.0.0.1 refused to connect.”

I might try the wifi network at my friend’s house but I doubt that’s the problem. Is there any other troubleshooting options?

Cheers.

127.0.0.1 for sure is not the correct IP. 127.0.0.1 always points to itself, so called loop back address.

As @manu pointed out, 127.0.0.1 is wrong. You need to figure out the correct network address of the Mac (server). Have you looked at Local Network Sync | Everdo Help ?

My bad. I got it working now. Thank you @manu and @Andrei for the help.

If it still doesn’t work, don’t forget to look into your firewall rules. Maybe the address is blocked there. On my Linux Mint computer, I had to open the port.