[Solved] Contexts should only represent the next action or clearly denote inactive next actions

I am trying to rebuild my tag(s) and use context tags @Home, @Errands etc which Everdo recognises as “Contexts” in the desktop app. That is cool. However when I see three contexts in use, and click on them they misrepresent the next action. For example;

I have a sequential project with three steps;

• Get moving boxes at hardware store @Errands
  • Remove all content from the cabinet drawer @Home
  • Move cabinet to back room for temp storage @Home

The first actionable item is the @Errands one. The rest is not actionable yet.

When I click om the context @Errands I see the next action from that project.

However when I click on @Home I see;

• Next
    • Remove all content from the cabinet drawer

It’s not a next action, yet. Right now the contexts tab in the desktop app does the same as the tags view, which is showing me all items that are filtered by that item. I think it would be more informative to show all items but by their proper state.

It would be more sensible to see a grouping by true next actions (first in line and to be picked up) and next actions (inactive).

Clicking on @Home context I would see;

• Next (Inactive)
    • Move cabinet to back room for temp storage

Clicking on @Errands context I would see;

• Next (Active)
    • Get moving boxes at hardware store

And for a hybrid form, one could imagine the two groups working together in the context;

• Next (Active)

• Go to store to pick up X
    • Call Jamy for Y
  • Next (Inactive)

• Move cabinet to back room for temp storage

I understand why the contexts are separate from tags in a menu in the Everdo app. However right now they misrepresent the next action that I can pick up, and are basically a subset from the TAGS view, which do the same.

Addendum: It looks like a bug. I have multiple @Home contexts in a project that are inactive next actions, and only one in that project shows up, but it is not the true next action, as that is in a different context…

1 Like

I cannot reproduce this anymore, maybe it was a fluke, it seems to work as intended now. I will try to keep an eye on misplaced next actions when I see them, sorry for the noise.