Syncing mess on local network


  • Server: Mac OS Desktop Computer (macOS 10.13)
  • Client: Windows Laptop (Windows 10)
  • Local sync over LAN

When syncing between the laptop and the server, automatically created tasks from repeated tasks are not synced properly, that means the items show up duplicated. Some other tasks don’t get synced and don’t show up either on the client or the server (it depends on where I have it created), or they don’t have the right status (done or open). That means taks that are marked done on the laptop are still open on the mac (after sync).

A typical setup is this: I work from Monday to Thursday in the office and create some tasks, work on it, etc. On Friday, I work from home and sync all the tasks on Thursday evening to my laptop. Normally, all my tasks are on the laptop. But when I sync back my tasks to the Mac on Monday, the mess begins. Some tasks, created on Friday on my Laptop, don’t get synced. Repeated tasks are duplicated, some tasks that are marked as done on Friday on my Laptop are still open in the server client, etc.

Is this a known issue? What can I do? Every help is appreciated.

Hi, sorry you are experiencing this behavior. It’s not like any know issue.

You might have already done this, but the crucial things to check are:

  1. Are you running the latest version of Everdo (1.8.x) and is it the same on both devices.
  2. Do you have system clock set correctly on both computers

Can you also clarify, is the sync issue limited to repeating items, or do you have examples where a task created normally doesn’t get synced.

If you can, it would help to try using ESS for a week or two and see if there is a difference in sync quality in your case. If you see the same issues, it will be easier diagnose this way. If it works better, this knowledge will also be useful.

As you can imagine, it’s difficult to diagnose something like this remotely, especially as the lifecycle of the issue spans a whole week. So if you can isolate some particular simpler scenario, that will also help.

Hi Andrei,
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I thought I had the same version installed on both systems, but that was not the case :person_facepalming: I had 1.7.7 installed on the Mac (Server) and 1.8.5 on the Laptop (Client). I just fixed that. The time is the same on both devices. After the upgrade of the Mac Version, I did a sync and I had the following issue: two repeated tasks had been duplicated. But maybe that was an old problem. I will keep an eye on the behavior for the next days and will keep you updated. To make sure that I don’t have some conflicting items in the database, I will be going to delete the database on the client and make a new initial sync.