Everdo Feature Ideas

On Android you could implement the Google assistant command “OK Google take a note…”

Probably the easiest way would be a shortcut which directly triggers a new input. See https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/shortcuts

There are only a couple to choose from.

1. floating bubble (my favorite)
  2. permanent notification
  3. widget
  4. long press icon
  5. gesture on home button or power button

Are there more than this?

For me the best way to implement this feature is to add a quick setting tile like Todoist.

This way no floating bubble all the time but only two click from any app to take a quick capture :slight_smile:

1 Like

Archive:

I would like to have an option to export archived entries (with selectable date-range) into several external databases to archive them offline (not only the option to load only the last 90 days). As a second step it would be cool to have an archive reader (or everdo coul load an archive for viewing) to view this archives without loading the current database.

Documentation:

It would also be cool to see the date (perhaps time) when I checked the done checkmark for every item (for documentation at work)

Are you taking about “share to Everdo inbox”?

This already exists.

No I don’t talk about sharing.

On android you can add button to statut bar like this

So you swipe once to open notification then you have access to the button.

1 Like

This is something I wasn’t even aware existed, despite using Android for years.

2 Likes

What do you mean external databases? Please note that there’s a sqlite database file where you can access all the items, including the archived ones.

It will mean at the moment I can set archive days (standard 90) which only loads the last 90 days to get a good speed.

What happens when I use Everdo for 5 years and have a big database? I look for an old item and has to set archive days to 1825 to load all 5 years and look for the interesting item. Perhaps it will work perfect, perhaps it will be very slow and perhaps it will hang up - I don’t know.

Therefore I had the idea to export the archive from the actual working database to some separate archive databases (for example archive 2019, archive 2020, …) so every database will be slim enough.

The only thing which will be needed is a archive viewer or an option in everdo to load an archive for looking for old items.

In my oppinion it should be a perfect tool which is consistent for a lot of years (I can trust) and I can find even very old items.

What do you think.

What I’m trying to say is why not use the database file directly? There are nice open source tools for browsing sqlite, for example https://sqlitebrowser.org/

With just a little bit of SQL you can extract any historical data you want without relying on the Everdo UI, which is optimized for viewing non-archived items only.

I forgot to point out that when working with SQL, the database size effectively doesn’t matter (in our use case at least) so you can have 20 years worth of data in the same file and query it instantly.

I am not sure if there was similar request. I would like to suggest you one (in my opinion) significant improvement which should be fairly easy to implement. What do you think about integrating reference lists(notebooks) into projects? Just a next section after Next, Waiting, Scheduled and Someday and then Reference(support) material. When a project is closed then reference material is also “closed”. The core functionality already exists, just a little integration :slight_smile: Of course reference material as standalone module still exists.

1 Like

I would like to propose another small improvement to implement. When we use the filter bar it would be nice when after choosing one tag we see only tags that make sense according to the first chosen. Now it is possible to use combination which gives result zero. It’s not something big but maybe you like it.

1 Like

TIMED REMINDERS
Andrei. What if I had all the money in the world to invest in your app. How much money would it take to persuade you to add timed reminders to the top of your list ( just under the iPhone development of course) And how long do you think it would take you to implement across your desktop and mobile platforms?
Name your price. Be realistic.

I thought about this a while ago. It makes a lot of sense in theory. There might be some complications, but I will give this more consideration.

I think what makes sense is not always clear. What if I want to make sure there are no actions tagged with a specific combination of tags?

This isn’t about the money :slight_smile: This is already one of the top features in the backlog. It’s only a matter of time until it’s added.

1 Like

I don’t think it is a good idea to finance particular functionality. The owner has already decided how to sell the product.

Nonetheless, I think there should be a simple donation feature. It is very common to support developers work that way. Especially when users find an application useful.

Today(why so late?) I realized that there is repetitive information when it comes to tags.
The first is when we delegate a task. We add contact information and the same contact appears as an added tag - but there is no tag.
This is only in the desktop app. In iOS, there is no doubled information.

The second thing is repeating the project name. When we group our Focus List(or other lists) by the project then we have sections named like project names and each task also has that info. I know that info next to the task is a link to go to the project but the information is repeated. It is obvious that all tasks under the section belong to that project. Nirvana solves this differently which is they put the link to the project next to the section name.

I know.

But to push it to the top, how much?

I’m assuming it would need to be enough to sustain you since this is a side project. It would also need to be enough to interest you above the other features that are on the list.

I’m thinking $10,000. Just saying, if it were me, that’s a full time 4 months of work. Does that sound right?

If I got you $10,000, would that move it up any?

You’re welcome to that opinion of course. And of course I disagree. I don’t think that the common method is always the best and especially not in this case.

But the common meathods everyone knows them I think. I think actually this has been mentioned before.

I’m proposing something quite different and that is why I raised my voice to post, the common meathods having been discussed already, or so I thought.