To launch a 2nd desktop application with different database

Hi

I always have my GTD everdo list under ubuntu.
I will occasionally wish to open a second “secret” list from another file. Is it possible ? the kind with free version next to the paid? That would surprise me, but in this case is it possible to add it to the list of requests?
Regards

HI
thank you for answering me even if it is not possible in the short term or long term otherwise
Regards

Sorry, I haven’t been on the forum since your post.

Right now it’s not possible to open more than one instance of the app on the same computer. I think it’s technically possible, but for now I assume that the need for this feature is quite low, so I should not distract from implementing more urgent features.

I’m voting for this feature, too. I often find myself working on one project in everdo - doing real work. Then someone asks me for information on an other topic / project, then I have to to leave the current working context to find what was needed and come back.
The mental cost of switching back and forth between parts, lists and projects is quite high in this case.
See my earlier request Desktop: Multiple instances of Everdo If possible, please add it to the development roadmap.

Hi
Thanks for the answer, yes there is life outside the computer :slight_smile:

Ok I understand but as it is important for me, I will try to launch a 2nd desktop application. I’m not sure it’s the same need for @manu . Rather than 2 instances, my idea is rather to have 2 distinct everdo. example of use: public / private, company / association … I know how to use the areas but in this case it is another need

Perhaps it would be possible “simply” under linux with a container application of type appImage with its parameter file in a personal directory (already requested for easier saving)

Yap, you are right, I misunderstood your case

I see that these are two different cases.

Indeed it should be possible to specify a different data directory with AppImage.

However the restriction of only running one instance of the app at the same time still needs to be removed in code.

@manu by the way this could work for your use case as well, as long as both instances are synced.

You mean syncing two instances with separated databases via ESS although everything is on the same machine. Hm, interesting approach. It’s a workaround but would do the job.

Hello

If I understand correctly, this could be possible with a container :slight_smile: but not today !?
Would that be added to the roadmap? which list? to know roughly the time?
Regards

Yes, this is what I meant.

AppImage uses the value of $HOME environment variable. So for example you could run Everdo by typing this in the terminal

HOME=/home/user/everdo-data ./Everdo.appimage

In this case the application will write data to /home/user/everdo-data instead of the default location.

This already works, but the problem is you can’t run a second process of Everdo simultaneously.

I think it’s a minor change, so I’ll add it to the scope for next release for now.

Hello
I was hoping for a new version as a Christmas present :slight_smile:
Is it coming soon?
Otherwise I already wanted to test appimage, I have the pro version but I don’t see it on the downloads section of the website ! How can I do it ?
Have a nice end of year

1 Like

I was able to achieve 2 apps running at the same time with version 1.5.2. This version is available to the early access group.

Here is how I did it.

1. Running the first appImage, which will use the default data directory
./Everdo-1.5.2.AppImage --multiInstance
  1. Running the second instance which will use a custom data directory
HOME=/home/andrei/everdo-data ./Everdo-1.5.2.AppImage --multiInstance

Hello
First of all, thank you for this proposal.
Nevertheless I don’t find a members area for downloads on the site for the current version 1.4.1 (pro) ? as well as for this version 1.5.2. How can I do it ?

Is it also possible to install this appimage version next to the current version (deb??) in another directory? I have already done this with Firefox :slight_smile:

It’s here, sorry.

Yes, you simply put the AppImage file where you want it and run it as an executable. You could also run the same AppImage twice with different command line arguments (as I have shown earlier) so that you don’t need to keep the deb updated.

hello

Thank you
For information, I was not able to run the installed version 1.4.1 (pro).deb with the version 1.5.2 appImage. I probably need to install version 1.5.2 (pro).deb!

So I installed a version 1.5.2 in the download directory and a 2nd instance 1.5.2 in another directory. This works well (especially the dark mode).

Just a little problem, I don’t see the database in the appimage launch directory!
I put this:

HOME=/media/Appli-donnees-actives/Everdo-portable /media/Appli-donnees-actives/Everdo-portable/Everdo-1.5.2.AppImage --multiInstance

Out of the idea was to have a version of everdo on my computer (deb or appimage) but the 2nd instance on a usb key (or external drive) which has to be portable from one computer to another. How do I do this?

Regards

The database should be at /media/Appli-donnees-actives/Everdo-portable/.config/db

Great :grinning: because in addition by using 2 appimage instances, I can save the database of the directory;
Last little problem. I got an error message because this is the free version!
Is there the pro version or are you going to release it very soon?

You should import your product key into the second app instance.

Hello
OK I’m at version 1.5.2 pro :slight_smile:
I had a problem importing the json file everdo.deb 1.4.1 pro to everso appimage 1.5.2 pro, I found myself with more elements !
before 1.4.1 ~20 elements , 4 late
after 1.5.2 ~80 items, 15 late

Well, if not, I still have to set up the synchronization on one of the instances.

HI,
1/ I’m trying to resynchronize the android application with the new appimage 1.5.2 pro instance. I have a big problem.

In the app
It seems to me that everything is good on the desktop application side. It is well registered and synchronized
At the bottom of the SYNC configuration tab, I have the message
“Encryption key mismatch Thu Jan 07 2021 11:51:18 GMT+0100 (Central European Standard Time)”

Android application
I downloaded the apk 1.2 and installed under android
I have installed the purchase key
I tried to scan Encryption Key but each time I got an error message that I can’t copy.
I can enter the login and password multiple times in the android application → nothing is memorized!
I manually copied/pasted the key on Encryption Key of the application which is memorized
Regards
smartphone: Honor 10 view + android 10